Meet The New Directors

photo courtesy of ClassAct Portraits

Mr. Robert Scotlan (left) and Mr. Duboise Hines (right).

Sofia Guerra, Co-Editor-in-Chief

Two new administration members join the Annie Wright Schools’ staff for the 2021-2022 academic year. Inkwell conducted an interview with Dubois Hines, Upper Schools Assistant Director of Student Engagement, and Robert Scotlan, Upper Schools Assistant Director of Student Life, to introduce them to the Annie Wright community.

Interview with Mr. Dubois Hines

Inkwell: We’d like to get to know you— tell us about yourself. 

Duboise Hines: My name is Dubois Hines, I grew up in a small town outside of West Georgia. I was really into sciences and the outdoors as a kid, and I went to college, got a degree in wildlife biology. While I was in college, I did a lot of volunteering and working at our local summer camp, and so I got really into working with youth. I kind of combined the two and did a lot of environmental education for a couple years and traveled around the United States doing environmental ed. But, what I really missed about interacting with students was I didn’t get a lot of opportunity to build long-lasting relationships, so then I got into more traditional education, so I started working at more long-term schools.

Inkwell: What made you choose Annie Wright?

Hines: So, I was looking for an opportunity to work at another independent school. I’d worked at Interlochen Center for the Arts in Michigan, and so I was really looking for the opportunity to kind of be with a more diverse group of students and an opportunity to just be in a new area like the Pacific Northwest. I liked that Annie Wright had a lot of history, but was also trying to progress things as well. I was just excited about the opportunity to take kids off-campus and [start] experiential learning again.

Inkwell: What are you looking forward to about this year?

Hines: I’m looking into just making sure student voices are heard and that the experiences I am taking into account and catering to are what the students want, I’m all about doing things with the students, not for the students, and so I think that Annie Wright is leaning more towards that and that we are here to serve you and to make sure that your education and your experiences are what you want.

Inkwell: What is something Annie Wright students might not know about you?

Hines: Fun fact, I’m really into movies and every time I go to see a movie, I collect the ticket stub. So, my wallet is full of movie stubs. Every year, on New Year’s Eve, I take them out and spread them across the table and count up how many movies I saw in the year.

Inkwell: What’s the most movies you’ve seen in a year?

Hines: About 25.

Inkwell: Who is your favorite movie character?

Hines: I would say, right now, it’s probably…my goodness, I feel like it always fluctuates. I feel like right now, it is Black Panther because I feel like that movie was really significant for me and so I just felt like that character was really awesome and I could relate to him.

Inkwell: Which is better, pie or cake?

Hines: I would say that pie is better because it is easier to make and it’s a lot harder to mess up. My favorite pie is pecan pie because they really just throw it all in there and it comes out great.

Interview with Mr. Robert Scotlan

Robert Scotlan: Well, when I was in sixth grade, I went to a school a lot like Annie Wright. Not a boarding school, but a private school in California. In fact, it was called Bentley School, like the car. It was an independent school, and I grew up in kind of a poor area. When I was in sixth grade, I came home complaining about how much homework I had and all my friends in the neighborhood didn’t have any homework, that was my perception. My mom said, “Well, if you don’t want to go to Bentley, that’s fine. But here’s what I suggest: for the summer, go and volunteer at the local science classroom.” There were public schools in the area that were run year-round. So I went and volunteered in a fourth grade classroom at a public school in Oakland, California, and I enjoyed the experience. It was eye-opening; I think it made me really appreciate the experience I had at Bentley, and that was my first time working with students. As I got older, I worked at sports camps, teaching athletics, went to camps teaching horseback riding, and eventually, after spending a lot of summers working with students, I got to university and I was recruited to join the master’s program for teaching, and I got my master’s and never looked back.

Scotlan: Since my experience going to a small private school, I’ve always been drawn to working at independent schools. I think they have a lot to offer. You can get to know students in a way you may not in a bigger school. Also, I’d met a number of Annie Wright faculty over the years. I spent 15 years at Charles Wright, and over the years through various opportunities, I’ve gotten to know Ms. Alicia, the Middle School Director Clare Wagstaff, I’ve worked with Mr. Stubbs and Mr. Finch, and others. I always found my interactions with them really warm, so when this position opened up I was hoping I could become a part of this community.

Scotlan: I don’t want to make any promises, but I definitely want to work with students on creating a coordinated uniform expectations so whether or not you’re USB or USG you’re seeing one list of options. So, I hope we can get that done soon. I’m also hopeful that we can figure out something with our cell phones. You know, when I do an eye test, and the phones are out and used quite a bit — and I don’t think that’s the end of the world — but I’ve heard from teachers that there’s some tension there around cell phones so hopefully I can work with faculty and students to come up with something that feels good for everyone. Also, I’m trying to streamline advisory. I don’t know how possible this is, but I’m hoping we can offer more alliance and affinity groups than we currently do, but I think that takes the whole community buying into the program.

Scotlan: I don’t know, I won the California State Championship in volleyball in high school. I played a lot; California’s got men’s volleyball teams so I was able to play. My junior year we were as close as you can be to California State Champions, since they technically divided the state in half. But that’s something you might not have known about me. And I like Star Wars, too, if that’s something that’s still cool.

Scotlan: There’s a movie called Bad Boys, it’s kind of old school. The main character is played by Will Smith. I would probably say Will Smith tends to play himself in all his movies; I’m a big Will Smith fan. Also, Han Solo is up there, but Will Smith, that’s my guy.

Inkwell: Which is better, pie or cake?

Scotlan: This is really hard. I think they each have their merits in their situations. I mean, if it’s a birthday, you have to have cake. Now, if it’s post-Thanksgiving dinner, you have to have pie. But if I had to choose…wait, do I get ice cream with it?

Inkwell: Yes.

Scotlan: Then it’s going to be cake. Hopefully that doesn’t ruffle too many feathers, I certainly wouldn’t want anyone to batter me!