Sophomore wins award at Model UN conference

The Upper School Model United Nations and Global Action activity participated in a STEM conference last Saturday. Sophomore Jennifer Wang won “Best Position Paper” for discussing the trade of illicit firearms.

Nina Doody

On Saturday, Sophomore Jennifer Wang won “Best Position Paper” for debating the illicit firearms trade at the STUMUN conference. The one day conference, which was located at Tesla Stem High School in Redmond, Washington, covered topics such as cryptocurrencies, geo-engineering, and artificial intelligence.

“I was very surprised at first since this was only my second conference, and I met some delegates in my committee who had really good resolutions,” Wang said when asked about her award. “I am very grateful for Ms. Everitt, our advisor, for helping me revise my position paper and suggest possible resolutions for me. This was such a precious experience for me, and I believe that our MUN club will grow stronger in the future as we attend more conferences.”

Seniors Sophie Rockne and Rachel Piatok planned two individual committees, G20 and the Historical Crisis Committee.

This event marked the second Pacific Model United Nations conference that the Upper School Model United Nations and Global Action activity has attended this school year. Last fall, they attended a two day conference in Seattle.