Things to notice about the next POTUS

A snapshot of the 2020 candidates

Back to Article
Back to Article

Things to notice about the next POTUS

photo courtesy of Gabrielle Krieger

photo courtesy of Gabrielle Krieger

photo courtesy of Gabrielle Krieger

Lauren Cook, Reporter

With the 2020 election this coming year, here’s a rundown of Presidential candidates most popular with Annie Wright students.

Students also weighed in on what issues they wanted to see the next President solve. 42.7% of students said they were not sure who they’d vote for at the time of the survey, and 14.7% said they would vote for another candidate not listed here.

Senator Bernie Sanders (D): 36% of students said they’d vote for him.

What issues he cares about: cancelling existing student debt and making public college tuition free for all. He also supports the “Green New Deal” and is endorsed by Representative Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez.

Most controversial thing he’s said: He compared a neighborhood in Baltimore to a third-world country.

Senator Elizabeth Warren (D): 26.7% of students said they’d vote for her.

What issues she cares about: LGBTQ+ rights, good public school education, combating climate change

Most controversial thing she’s said: Warren has faced backlash from Native American communities for her claim that she is a member of the Cherokee Nation. She has also admitted to filling out forms as native, thus being referred to as a minority.

Mayor Pete Buttigieg (D): 24% of students said they’d vote for him.

What issues he cares about: criminal justice reform, LGBTQ+ rights, veteran/military family support

Most controversial thing he’s said: “All Lives Matter”

Vice President Joe Biden (D): 16% of students said they’d vote for him.

What issues he cares about: ending gun violence, health care for all, affordable education beyond high school

Most controversial thing he’s said: While speaking to a largely African-American audience: “Look at what [Republicans] value, and look at their budget… They’re going to put y’all back in chains.”

President Donald Trump (R): 8% of students said they’d re-elect him.

What issues he cares about: pro-life, stricter immigration laws, preventing animal abuse

Most controversial thing he’s said: “No one has more respect for women than me.” Later, “When you are a star, they let you do it.”

Joe Walsh (R): 5.3% of students said they’d vote for him.

What issues he cares about: 2nd Amendment with background checks, stop tariffs

Most controversial thing he’s said: On the Black Lives Matter movement: “Watch out Black Lives Matter punks. Real America is coming after you.”