Young & talented volleyball team advances in districts

The varsity volleyball team, comprising mostly freshman, advances in districts.

Laney Sneva, Reporter

This year’s varsity volleyball team, now in post-season, is a team to watch. Both young (most starting players are freshman) and talented, they show, according to Coach Jeff Groshans, exceptional potential. 

“Building this AWS volleyball program has been an exciting and rewarding process,” Groshans said at the end of the regular season. “However anything that’s made of high quality takes time to grow and build. This is a very young and extremely talented group of athletes, and I have no doubt in my mind that this will be a great team.”

Although state may be in the future, the team still has a long way to go. Advancing in districts, the team defeated Chimicum in three sets on November 5. They play Bellevue Christian on November 7, and a victory will increase their chances of going to state.

Staying on top of school and volleyball is a focus for players, especially for the girls on the team that had club volleyball tryouts as well. Kamalani Enomoto, a freshman, said, “I think it is pretty easy to stay on top of school and volleyball as long as you manage your time well.”

Groshans has high hopes for the future of the team. “As this team matures and continues to add new talent from the upcoming classes, they will be a force to reckon with,” he said. “This could very well be the most talented and successful volleyball team in AWS history. It is my hope that these Annie Wright Gators will be state contenders in 2-3 years.”

The junior varsity team has wrapped up their season. With only six players, everyone worked extremely hard and grew as a team.