4 ways YOU can make a difference

Julia Henning shares an original poem with participants in the Annie Wright walkout on Wednesday.

Julia Henning

Since the Marjory Stoneman Douglas school shooting in Parkland, Florida, last month, students have mobilized to end gun violence in schools. Looking for ways to get involved? Here are four ideas:

1. Donate to or volunteer at a non-profit organization committed to combating gun violence in schools. There are many organizations in America supporting students against violence. You can also donate to the Tacoma March for Our Lives movement, which aims to end gun violence and mass shootings in schools, here. 
  2. Join the local movement. Students from Wilson High School are hosting a fundraiser at Joeseppi’s on March 21 from 4:00 to 8:00 pm to raise money for the March of Our Lives. Stop by and support them, then join them on March 24 for the actual march. 
  3. Get in touch with your elected officials. Contacting your legislator is quite simple and will only take a few minutes. Call the Washington State Legislative Hotline at 1.800.562.6000, or to talk to members of Congress, call 202.224.3121. After giving the operator your address, he or she can connect you with the correct elected official. You may not be able to speak to the person directly, but their assistant will take your name and write down notes of anything you wish to pass on. 
  4. Voice your support on social media. Use Twitter, Instagram, Snapchat, Facebook, or your favorable form of social media to voice your opinion, spread the word, and get others involved.