Upper School Celebrates Mountain Day

Sophomores enjoy ice skating, one of the many activities available at Sprinker during Mountain Day.

On Wednesday, April 12, the Upper School celebrated Mountain Day, an annual tradition at Annie Wright, at Sprinker Recreation Center. Annie Wright students originally traveled to Mount Rainier to hike for the day, but more recently Mountain Day has involved an outing to a local park or venue.

Each year the date is kept secret until the actual morning of Mountain Day. This year students found out through an ASB “survey” that was emailed to them first thing in the morning.

The outing was planned by ASB president Virginia Miller with the help of dean of students Annie Green.

“I booked the venue the week before spring break,” said Miller. “The decision was based a lot on price point and availability. Some other options we looked at were Wild Waves, but it was closed, and Family Fun Center, but it was a lot more expensive.”

When asked about the planning process, Miller responded with nothing but positivity. She said that it didn’t take too long to plan and Annie was very helpful. Miller spent senior skip day (last Monday) planning and shopping for Mountain Day. “It was hard not to tell anyone,” she explained, “but it was better that way.”

Buses left for Sprinker at around 9:15 am for a day full  of activities including ice skating, bowling, badminton, dodgeball, broom ball, foosball, ping pong, air hockey, friendship bracelet and flower crown-making, Netflix watching and more.

Lunch was provided by a taco truck, and ice-cream sundaes were available for dessert.

According to Miller, the entire event was put on this year for under $4,000, which was well within budget.